Sunday, December 2, 2007

Sometimes Life Can Come At You In OVERDRIVE...

Well, I just got over the shock of being told on Monday that I have to have major surgery next Tuesday. Now I have been thrown another curve ball. Tuesday I went in and had all my pre-op blood work, x-rays and EKG done. Wednesday morning I got a call from my doctor that my EKG was abnormal and I had to see a cardiologist before I could have my surgery.

I have been seen by a cardiologist for a little over a year and was diagnosed as having an irregular heartbeat at that time. It was really no big deal and I never really gave it much thought. My doctor tried to call my regular cardiologist but could not get hime to return her phone call so she made me an appointment on Thursday with a cardiologist she recommended. When I saw him, he asked me lots of questions about my general health and then told me he wanted to run some tests on me because he suspected I had a hole in my heart. He came to this conclusion because of chronic migraines that didn't respond to medication and my irregular heartbeat. I have been being followed for 26 years by many different neurologists for migraines and nobody had ever posed this concern.

I had the tests run on Thursday and Friday morning I got a call confirming that I had a substantial hole in my heart. In fact, the cardiologist said it was the biggest he had seen. I am now scheduled for another surgery on December 21st to repair the hole.

I guess I didn't hold on when life came at me fast earlier this week. I managed to get my Christmas tree up and find a dress for Chris' upcoming wedding this weekend but the rest is just not important. I have been forced to put things into perspective and at this point I am thankful for the knowledge of my doctors to diagnose and hopefully cure my problems. Chris will be home for my second surgery and that is a great feeling of comfort. God is watching over me and I know everything is happening for a reason. I think I better hold on tight...because life is coming at me in OVERDRIVE! I am counting the days until Chris is home and that is my motivation right now. Joey and Christen are both awesome and are going to be great nurses!

The hospital supposedly has WiFi so I am hoping to continue with Footprint In The Sand while I'm hospitalized. Some of the posts may be a little woozy due to the pain medicine but that may add a little laughter. I have also worked with Joey and he is willing to help me out if necessary.

Folks, take time to stop and smell the roses. Life is too short to do otherwise. I realize now that I get too caught up with things that really don't matter. As my friend Lidia wrote me today "slow down and let go and let God"!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dottie, When you have done everything possible, then you stop and let God be in control. Exactly, what Footprints in the Sand is all about. Now let him carry you through the hard times because you are not alone.
He has your attention...be loved by your loved ones. Let your friends come forward and embrace their love, and respect for you. No one deserves it more then you. You are a awesome lady with a big heart.
Enjoy the time with Christopher when he comes home. Those times will be special.
God bless, may our Lord God place his healing hand on you, and his protection with Chris.

(when life gives us lemons, just make lemonade)

Sophie said...

Hi Dottie,

Thank you for sharing your hard times, news, and your life with all of us. I will be keeping you in my prayers. It is such a blessing to have Chris home for you during your second surgery and for your recovery. God never gives us more than we can handle.

In Him,
Sophie (1LT Eng HHT 3-1CAV)

Anonymous said...

Dottie,
During these troubled times, remember to lean heavily on our Lord God and keep your faith firmly planted in Him and He will carry you through.
As for a picture perfect holiday, never fear as it will be the most special Christmas you have had in a very long time, full of family and friends. I would imagine the true spirit of Christmas will be alive and well in your home this season.
I pray you can enjoy all of your blessings, Chris' arrival home, the upcoming wedding and the joys of family being close.
I will keep you and your family in prayer.
God speed

Anonymous said...

Thank-you for keeping me in touch with my son's life at FOB Hammer through your blog! My thoughts and prayers will be with you on Dec. 21 for your surgery and your subsequent surgery - best of luck and quick recovery.

Anonymous said...

Dottie,
It sounds like it was a good thing your surgeon found such a excellent cardiologist. You must be in very good hands. I read your posts almost daily and so appreciate your updates. You will be in my thoughts and prayers along with all of our children from Ft Benning. Thanks and best wishes. Lynette