Monday, October 12, 2009

Goodbyes Are NEVER Easy!

I had told myself that I would not choke up when we called Nick to tell him goodbye. My husband dialed the phone and talked first. When he handed me the phone, there were tears in his eyes and that's all it took. I know Nick must have thought that Joey had to go get me at the neighbors house because even though I had the phone in my hand, it took me a few minutes to get the lump out of my throat so I could talk. I composed myself and was able to stay upbeat while I told him goodbye and be safe. As soon as I hung up, I cried like a baby.

Our Soldiers insist they are simply doing their jobs and it just routine. We, as family and friends should try to take the same approach but it's just not that easy. God is holding them in His hands and will return them safely in twelve, hopefully short months.

As soon as I hung up with Nick, I thought of something I had forgotten to ask. I picked up the cell phone and sent him a text...something I won't be able to do for a while now. Within seconds, I had a reply.

It's little things like phone calls, text messages and the daily happenings that are taken for granted until they are gone. After I experienced the first deployment with Chris and the others, I realized very quickly that we should truly cherish every single moment of our lives.

Godspeed, Nick. We love you and will be praying for you!

No comments: