Sunday, August 5, 2007

Putting Things Into Perspective

Every time I get an email or talk to Chris it really helps me put things into perspective. It is amazing how many people you hear on a daily basis complain about one thing or another…it’s too hot, I’m over worked, I’m underpaid, life is tough, I have too much to do, and on and on. So many people are unhappy and unappreciative of what they have. Maybe they should try a deployment to Iraq and see if they have a different outlook on things.

If the people of the United States had the same brotherhood as the Soldiers fighting in Iraq, this country would be a much better place and have a lot less crime. It is amazing how much the Soldiers care about one another and the bond they have.

The conditions for our Soldiers are tough…limited air conditioning, no running water, no hot meals served daily, very long hours, few or no days off, dangerous conditions and if ANYONE would have a reason to complain, it would be our Soldiers, but they don’t. They continue to do their job with pride and dignity.

I talked to Chris last Monday and, as always, he was doing great. No complaints and very energetic and upbeat. He has been very busy lately and on the move a lot but said they are doing a lot of great things.

I asked him if conditions were getting better where he was and he very quickly said “oh yes, we now have air conditioning in part of the building where I sleep so I drag my foam mattress that you guys sent me out in the hall and it is nice and cool. In fact, last night I had a real good night’s sleep”. Even though it is 120 plus degrees outside, Chris said his body is getting acclimated to the high temperatures and it’s not too bad. He said sometimes it feels like he skin is burning off but you get used to it.

We get emails from another buddy of Chris’, Lt. Nick James and he as well is very positive, never complains and seems to be making the most out of his deployment. These guys have every right to want to complain but instead they simply respond that they are just doing their job. This is the attitude of the American Soldier and one that we should all be proud of.

I, for one, thank Chris and Nick and all the other Soldiers that are doing their job so passionately. The sacrifices that these Soldiers are making for us so that we may have a better life are remarkable.

I am much more tolerant of things these days. I can handle when it is 95 degrees outside with 75 percent humidity knowing that our guys are in full gear and it is 120 degrees and very dusty. I can go inside the house and get cooled down, watch TV, cook a nice hot meal, take a nice cool shower and go to sleep in a comfortable bed…they have to continue to do their job. I appreciate all the amenities that we have and continue to try to send things and do things that will make the tour a little easier.

I am so thankful that Chris has the outlook that he does. He loves his country, he loves his job and he feels he is able to make a difference by what he does. Keep up the good work guys and thanks for EVERYTHING you are doing! As Chris always says…Keep smiling!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so right. It is unbelievable what are young men and women have to deal with over there and yet they do it with a smile. They are amazing!!! I follow your page everyday in hopes of news or pics. My son is with another unit at a different FOB but I enjoy hearing and reading about all of our guys and girls over there. Thank you...