Saturday, May 22, 2010

Students Graduate From Team Leaders Course

Story by: Sgt. Ben Hutto

COS KALSU, Iraq – Thirty-one students assigned to the 3rd Heavy Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division graduated from the 3rd HBCT's Team Leader Course at Contingency Operating Site Kalsu, May 8.

The two-week course taught the graduates vehicle maintenance and recovery, combat casualty care, casualty evacuation procedures, a variety of weapon systems, several different radio systems, demolitions for use in urban environments, and how to run small arms ranges.

"The class was a lot of fun," said Spc. Anthony Blake, a native of Columbia, Mo., assigned to Headquarters and Headquarters Company, Brigade Special Troops Battalion, 3rd HBCT.

"A lot of the noncommissioned officers I spoke to about the class said they had to learn a lot of the stuff we went over in class on their own after they got promoted. I think that will help me when I get promoted."

The class, which was geared to junior NCO's and Soldiers, provided formal instruction on the proper way to lead Soldiers according to Army field manuals and regulations.

"The class provided a great opportunity for these future and current noncommissioned officers to work and train together with Soldiers from other units within the brigade," said Staff Sgt. Robert Lively, one of the course's instructors.

Lively, a native of Natchez, Miss., assigned to Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, BSTB, 3rd HBCT, said that the graduates of the class learned to work together as a team and grew through the shared experience.

"I'm still a ways from getting promoted to sergeant, but this class has helped me a lot," said Pfc. Casey Brecker, a native of Philadelphia assigned to Company B, 1st Battalion, 15th Infantry Regiment.

"I know when it is time for me to go to the board and get promoted; this course will have set me up for success. We learned how to lead from the front during our time here. It is something I've always thought a good leader should do and this course just reaffirmed that for me."

No comments: