Wednesday, September 19, 2007

An Open Letter To The Troops


I ran across this today at A Soldier's Mind and found it very appropriate to share. I wish everyone in America was thankful for what our children, spouses, mothers, fathers and other loved ones are doing for OUR freedom.

Dear Hero,


I am a man or a woman, a father or a mother, a brother or a sister, a son or I am a daughter, I am black, white, red, yellow, or I am brown. I am as you are, for I am American. I came from abroad and I came from here, having sworn an oath or by birthright, as an American I have what many in our world crave and dream of and that is freedom.

I am free to fall asleep at night without fear of being roused from my bed at gunpoint and I am free to speak my mind. I am free to work and pray when I choose and I have become as comfortable with my freedoms that I take them all for granted. I come from all walks of life and from all levels of wealth yet as an American I am an equal among my fellow citizens and I can choose to do with my life what I will. As an American, I am privileged though far too often I do not think of this as I am far too busy with mundane things to consider it. Some may say these are foolish statements but they are in fact the truth.

All of these freedoms have come at a price, a price I will never pay, that burden has fallen to another. There are a few Americans that have chosen to be my guarantors because they have chosen to be my defenders and they have chosen this of their own free will and at great personal cost. I speak of the noblest among us, of the ones who have answered the call to arms. I speak of you my dear friend, I speak of you.

I would like to apologize to you my brother, for taking you for granted, and I would like to thank you my sister for your sacrifice. To you my son, I tell you of the pride I felt in my heart as I watched you leave for far away lands and to you my daughter, I say I have never known such a love. Father, I ask for your understanding when I turned my back on you, unable to look you in the eye and see your greatness, and mother forgive me for my unkind words towards you when I did not understand what it was you had done for me. I now know that without you, I would not be.

It has taken me far too long to realize the sacrifices you have made for me and as ashamed as I am for my ignorance, I could not allow another day to pass without telling you how I feel and how grateful I am to you for the person you are. I have chosen today to let you know that I finally understand. I understand what it is you have known for so long, that there is no other country like America. With all it’s flaws, America is a shining beacon to all the world of what can be achieved and what must be protected at all cost.

To you my friend I say, God’s speed. You so deserve and have my admiration and respect. You brave and noble warrior take into your heart my gratitude and my love. I’ll keep the home fires burning until you return when you work is done and on that day I’ll grasp your hand as I look you in the eye and say to you, “Thank You.”

An American

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful piece. I will be sharing it. Thank you.