Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Velvet Hammer - Fallen Soldiers

A velvet hammer is sent when there is a loss in the the brigade. Peace be with the families of our fallen Soldiers. God bless our troops!


Subject: VELVET Hammer

On the 5th of September I was notified by LTC Gale (3rd Infantry Division Rear-Detachment Commander) that our Brigade had suffered the loss of a Soldier from D/2-69 AR and a Soldier from HHC/2-69 AR. The Soldiers lost their lives while conducting combat operations in Iraq. The next of kin of our fallen Soldiers have been notified. I ask you for your prayers for these Sledgehammer Soldiers and their Families.

Respectfully,
LTC Scott Quagliata
RDC, 3BCT, 3ID

1 comment:

Al Swearengen said...

I hope this blog provides you and your son a dose of satisfaction, strength for days like these...nothing more than a shrug from the national media, though two families will never be the same. Perhaps there are two widows with children to raise on their own now. The horror of war, even if pundits and politicians figure it's best not to dwell on this reality, stretches far beyond the spot where a life is lost on the battlefield.

Maybe it's unhealthy (and I'm sure a psychiatrist would tell me it is), but when I read something like this, there are times when I'll think back to friends of mine, people in my unit, their wives and children (infantry unit, so there were only men), sometimes struggling with bills, transportation, and everything else in life that doesn't go on hold for a deployment...how the hell does someone make it through that?

Scar tissue, only the kind that a doctor in Hollywood can't get rid of with a laser. My heart is heavily invested in such realities, though as far as my mind is concerned, I'm in surburbia, past my ready reserve date, and often times as apathetic as anyone.

I get to feeling guilty, like I should have saved more money over the years, invested it right, so now I could afford to do something for these families. But I can't of course, the mortgage and diapers...so it reads somewhere that Bill Gates is springing for laptop computers to be airlifted into Africa and droped alongside the food and pharmasudicals, and a single mother whose husband is gone gets a check...does she get a free laptop too?

Makes me wonder...I'm not sure about what.

I know that politically you and I are probably on oposite ends of the spectrum. I'm linking to here from http://deadissue.com, and plan on visiting often. There's a whole universe of current/ex-military out there in cyberspace, and in terms of what you're doing here, I look at it as communion. For the soul - - - God Bless!

Al