Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving at Patrol Base Assassin

Chaplain Randall blesses Thanksgiving meal at Patrol Base Assassin

Thanksgiving meal at Patrol Base Assassin


As we sat down to eat our Thanksgiving dinner, my mind was thousands of miles away. I couldn't help but wonder what kind of day Chris was having...where was he, was he getting Turkey and all the trimmings, was he safe, was he in good spirits? Shortly after lunch, all my questions were answered. We got the much hoped for phone call that set our minds at ease. Chris had eaten a wonderful meal at Patrol Base Assassin, complete was Pecan Pie (one of his favorites). He was excited that he had gotten to see Sgt. Andreade and all the guys from his old Platoon. He was in great spirits and said he had a great day. It was so great to hear from him. I was afraid that we might not be able to hear from him due to availability of a phone but we were so happy to get that very special call and be able to hear his voice.
This Thanksgiving I give thanks for the wonderful men and women that are proudly serving our country so we can enjoy our freedom. The many sacrifices that they make and the challenges that they encounter will never be forgotten and a mere "thanks" doesn't even begin to say how much we appreciate all they have given.
Holidays are the hardest but I am so happy that we got to hear Chris' voice today. It was a very emotional day but I remained strong until I said goodbye and then the tears began to fall. We miss him so much and are counting the days until his R&R. Happy Thanksgiving everyone and God Bless Our Troops!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We think we saw our son in one of the pictures.It looks like they had a nice spread. Thanks for all you do!! Bulldog in North Florida

Anonymous said...

Dottie we were on our way home when we got our call from Anthony. We pulled into a church parking lot to talk! He seemed to have had a good day for being "over there". We missed him very much, looking forward to next year when they should be home.

Lidia PAM of Anthony

Airborne dad said...

I am glad Chris was able to call in. I know that helped. Mark was at the dinner table for Thanksgiving...first time in two years. He turns 23 today so the homecoming celebration continues. Yours will come soon.

Brinson's mom said...

Hi: I'm PFC. Brinson's mom A Troop, 3-1 CAV. I want to say, "Thank you so much" for posting the Thanksgiving meal photos. It made our day. I was driving myself crazy trying to invision what their day was like.
Your photos were priceless and put my mind to rest. We think we saw our son in one of the photos (Bulldog in North Florida). Thank you again,


Brinson's mom