Saturday, May 26, 2007

Memorial Service For HHT, 3-1 CAV Fallen Soldiers


It has been a tough week for the Troopers of 3-1 CAV SQDN. On Wednesday, 23 May 2007, two magnificent Soldiers, SPC Jonathan Winterbottom and SPC Victor Toledo-Pulido, killed in action east of Baghdad, Iraq when an IED explosion hit their vehicle. They were responding to another unit that had also hit an IED and had 3 wounded personnel from A Troop, 3-1 CAV. One Soldier was treated and released and the other two were sent to Germany. Seven Soldiers were wounded in the incident. Their fellow Soldiers responded courageously and their quick reaction and thinking saved lives of the wounded Soldiers.

Today was the memorial service for the fallen HHT, 3-1 CAV Soldiers at FOB Hammer

In remembrance of
SPC Jonathan D. Winterbottom, of Falls Church, Virginia
SPC Victor H. Toledo-Pulido, of Hanford, California

26 May 2007 Memorial Ceremony Message
CH (CPT) Anthony Randall

My times are secure in God’s hands. Our times are secure in God’s hands. And today we are here to remember SPC Jonathon Winterbottom and SPC Victor Toledo-Pulido times are secure in God’s hands. We were all fortunate to experience their time here on earth. The Psalmist’s encouraging words from 2500 years ago comfort us still today as we react to the loss of our two comrades on 23 May 2007. Psalm 31:15 says, “My times are secure in your hands; deliver me from my enemies and from those who pursue me.”

My time is in your hands means that my time, your time, our time, does not belong to us; it is only lent to us by God, and can at any time be recalled and taken from us. The question always asked in moments like today is, “Who were you in your time?” As we have heard Jon and Victor’s commander’s and friends speak today, they were larger than life in their time, setting the example for all of us on how to live a life full of passion and devotion to God, country, and family.

The original Hebrew text of Psalm 31:15 translated “my time” as “my destiny.” My time, your time, Jonathan and Victor’s time on this earth is our destiny. It makes up our life story. It makes up how people will remember us. The 20th Century theologian Karl Barth said, “My time is my whole life story, with all that I have endured or accomplished and perhaps shall still endure or accomplish-my life story with each and everything that I was and am and shall be. This life story of mine, this is secure in your hands!” SPC Winterbottom and SPC Toledo Pulido lived their destiny to the fullest and left their amazing stories and personal impact with us in which we will always remember them.

I am thankful that my time and their time, our destinies crossed paths. From the first day I met Jonathan Winterbottom to every day after that I saw him; I always had to remind myself “Combat Medic, Combat Medic, Combat Medic” because he carried himself like an expert infantryman. He was the epitome of a combat Infantryman and combat Medic molded together into one incredibly impressive SPC Jonathan Winterbottom. He and SPC Forbes were very close and so that leads me to remember some very interesting conversations that I always seemingly walked into with the two of them together. Actually now that I think of it, there are always interesting conversations and Burt Reynolds posters hanging about in the medics tent. They are a tight bunch, just like the CSD and TST. Jon was a friend to all and enemy to none. He also was a fantastic artist specifically with tattoos. His creativity will go with many of you today who actually have a design or tattoo that Jonathan created for you. That is just another way to always remember Jon’s time with us.

SPC Toledo-Pulido was a quiet professional. He never said much, but when he did people listened. I will never forget his warm smile and confidant stare. He was determined to be the best Cavalry Scout in the unit. He used to get teased about his height, and being 5’6” myself, I can appreciate the sarcasm. I also appreciated his view on life…he was down to earth, and I’m not just talking about his vertical challenges. And that is how he will be remembered, a man of the earth, a man of grit, a man who despite the odds, the risks, and the unknown sought out to give his family a better life, and then once reaching the United States willingly signed up to protect and defend the great nation he longed to live in with his family. Today we remember SPC Winterbottom’s and SPC Toledo-Pulido’s times as great Americans and great Soldiers.
As human beings we can walk in faith that we can live our time to the fullest, however long or short that may be because we are secure in God’s hands. How are we secure in God’s hands? When we believe in the promises, the hopes, and the security of God’s hands we know where our eternal security lies. It lies in the hands of a loving God who desires us to take comfort in the safety of his constant presence.

What does it mean to be in God’s hands? It means we are in the presence of a loving God, and are not succumbed or controlled by evil or sit in the hands of a “dark, unfeeling fate, at which one could not help shuddering and feeling afraid, with which one might argue and struggle, with which one would have to keep u p a running battle inwardly and outwardly.” Barth’s quote reminds us that we can choose to either be in God’s hands or isolated by evil.
In times of tragedy, in times of evil, in times of suffering, in times of war may we find it relieving that we are in God’s hands and as Barth again says, “It is good that I’m not my own master, that my time is not in my own hands. But my time, my life-story, I myself, am secure in God’s hands.” And that is where I pray Jonathan and Victor are today, it’s where I pray we may all find ourselves during this difficult time. God has well defined hands, stronger, better, more skillful in molding us into who we are and who we will become, and far better than placing our trust in ourselves. “God’s hands are his deeds, his works, his words, which whether we know it and want it or not, surround and embrace us, bears and sustains us all on all sides.”
And so as we take time today to remember the times of two great friends and Soldiers, may we gain faith in the hope and peace of God’s plan for all of our lives. May we find the peace that passes all understanding in our hearts and minds through our Lord as the Apostle Paul consoles us with his words that we are pressed but not crushed, persecuted, but not abandoned, struck down, but not destroyed.

And how would it be tonight and again in the morning that as we lay our heads to rest or arose to a new day, we pause and say ever so softly, or loudly to God, “My time is secure in your hands.” May we find the truth in that statement, that God is in control of each of our lives, our time, our destiny’s, and desires us to live in the truth and believe the truth of the eternal life we have with our Lord Jesus Christ. - Amen

My times are secure in your hands;
deliver me from my enemies and from those who pursue me.
Psalm 31:15

Greater love has no one than this,
that he lay down his life for his friends.
John 15:13
Please pray for the families of these courageous men who paid the ultimate price for their country. Also, please pray for HHT

No comments: