Friday, May 25, 2007

Velvet Hammer Anxiety

The anxiety associated with getting a Velvet Hammer is overwhelming. Reality truly hits! Someone has paid the ultimate price for our freedom. When I see the Velvet Hammer in my inbox, my heart sinks to my stomach and I get a sick feeling. After a prayer for the family or families of the fallen soldiers, I immediately begin to worry even more than I do on a daily basis. Was Chris a part of what happened to these Soldiers? Is he okay? The time between the Velvet Hammer and the time I hear from Chris seems like an eternity. I am so proud that Chris is aware of how much I worry and has always tried to notify us as soon as he can that he is okay. Most of the time it is very short and sweet but that's all we need. Last night Chris called because he knew with this particular Velvet Hammer, I was probably on pins and needles...he was right. He was doing okay and was bummed about the losses. We all know this is part of the mission but none of us want to see it happen and it is difficult to go through.

Despite the news of his fellow HHT Soldiers, he was in good spirits. He said it is very hot and it's a challenge to sleep in the day. He also said that it appears that mail service is back on schedule. He had received several boxes but had been too hot and exhausted to open them. He also said that it was sort of weird...when he got to FOB Hammer it was dusty and every time you walked, you kicked up powder fine sand. Then, it rained and you sloshed around in mud for a few days. Now the mud has turned to what looks almost like concrete. He said he was disappointed that Toby Keith decided to cancel his visit to the FOB. It appears Keith decided to go to Camp Victory instead. Chris said he would have definitely been at his concert. It was so good to hear Chris' voice...especially after all the anxiety during the day with the Velvet Hammer. I appreciate his thoughtfulness SO much!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you are talking about with the Velvet Hammer. It saddens me to know that Anthony and many others have begun to lose their friends and fellow soldiers. It affects them in ways that we may never know. So I pray that Chris continues to give you those all important if only brief calls to say, "I'm O.K.". We will get through this together friend and I hope that our sons will meet one day.