Friday, May 4, 2007

Wake Up Call

Got a very nice phone call from Chris this morning. It's always a little scary when the phone rings at 2:00 AM but this was a GREAT WAKE UP CALL! He had just gotten off work and was getting ready to work out, eat and go to bed. He sounded wonderful...full of energy and excitement. He has had the opportunity to explore FOB Hammer a little bit and he said it's a pretty spooky place. It was bombed in 2004 or so and there are a lot of building shells, etc. He also said that he happened upon a row of soldiers boots. Yep, pretty spooky. I hope he reads Soldiers Beware that I posted earlier. He continues to say that he has some really great pictures, but has no way to send them at this time. We are really looking forward to seeing them so we can get an idea of what it's like over there.

He was very enthusiastic about the possibility of getting to watch the Spurs games in the tent...with the purchase of the receiver and having AFN brought in it sounds like it might happen. He was also very excited when I told him that he had a Spurs Fever box being sent out on Monday. A friend of mine from the Spurs sent a bunch of promotional items to include and said he is so grateful for the guys that are serving our country...he fixed Chris up with all sorts of goodies.

It was very interesting that Chris was overly excited about a little mister that he got in his last care package we sent. Basically it is a water bottle that you can squeeze and it mists you. I doesn't require any batteries. It was only like $4.00 at Wal Mart but to him it's worth a million bucks. The air conditioner in the tent has two vents and Chris cot is in the corner where the air doesn't really flow so it is already very hot in the tent. He said before he goes to sleep he mists himself and it cools him down enough to get to sleep. I guess it is even hotter when he is trying to sleep because he works at night and sleeps in the day. It makes me feel good that he is enjoying it so much. It funny because I almost didn't buy it because I thought he probably wouldn't use it. You never know what's going to be a big hit!

It was so nice to hear Chris' voice. The last call I got was very rushed but this time he was very relaxed and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope he knows just how much any and all communication means...we know it is very difficult and his time is very limited but it is appreciated so much! Thanks Chris! We're SO proud of you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy your website even though my grandson is not with the 3-1 Cav. I especially liked the comment from Chris about the spritzer. I just sent one of those to my grandson. Hope he enjoys it as much as Chris.