Wednesday, April 11, 2007

15 Months...You've Got To Be Kidding Me

I got this message today and my heart sunk. I wasn't sure I could handle 12 months and now it looks like I will have to cope with this for 15 months. I know Chris will take this in stride so I guess I will too. I'm going to keep my chin up and keep trudging along!

We had a strange feeling when Chris left that there was a possibility that the tour was going to be longer than 12 months. We thought it was strange that he had bought and was taking his Captain rank with him. He is not up for Captain until May 2008. Of course, Chris didn't want to say anything because he was hoping for the best and didn't want to make the situation any harder on us than it already was. That's Chris...always watching out for the feelings of others! This is an email we got today from 3ID

Message from 3ID

Commanders, NCOICs and FRG Assistants, For the last several months Marne 6 has told Commanders, Soldiers and MarneDivision families that there was a great possibility that 3ID units may faceup to an 18 month tour of duty in Iraq.Today the Secretary of Defense and the Secretary of the Army announced thatactive component Army units will now have standard deployments of 15 months.Those active component units that have already deloyed to Iraq will be extended to a 15-month tour.We understand this is a sacrifice by our Soldiers and families, but theseextensions are necessary to meet surge unit requirements. The Army, 3d IDand the United States Army Garrison Fort Stewart and Hunter Army Airfieldwill continue to do everything in their power to support our families duringthis difficult time.We will provide more information as it becomes available.

COL Todd A. Buchs
USAG Fort Stewart/HAAF Commander

No comments: