Monday, April 23, 2007

WOW!!! Wal Mart Really Does Have Everything

I stopped by Wal Mart after work today to pick up a few more things for my Viva Fiesta Care Package I'm sending to Chris and my phone rang. The number that came up was a San Antonio number so I didn't give it much thought...just answered it. Wow...it was Chris! He had been patched through Randolph AFB. I was shocked! I just stopped in the middle of the store and had a wonderful conversation. It was 3:30 AM in Iraq and he was on a break from work. He was doing good and said he stays very busy but it makes the time pass a little quicker.

He said that he hadn't gotten any mail since he had returned from Camp Victory but they don't have mail call everyday. He hasn't really figured out the mail service yet. He also said that Crystal Light, Lemondade and Kool Aid packets that you put into bottled water is a hot commodity at FOB Hammer. It's so convenient to carry the packets around and just pop them into the bottle, shake and you have a tasty drink. I got so excited that he had called, that I didn't even go check them out while I was at Wal Mart.

He is really hoping that eventually they get wireless internet so they can use their computers in the tents...but I'm sure that is quite a ways down the road. It is very difficult for him to get time on the computer to really write letters like he would like to do.

He sounded great and it was so awesome to hear his voice. The one time that Joey doesn't go shopping with me, Chris calls. Joey was very disappointed that he didn't get to talk to him. He has been saying for the last two days that he had a feeling that Bub was going to call...he did and he missed it. It's a horrible feeling since those phone calls are so rare and precious.

I've always heard that you can find most anything at Wal Mart...now I'm a firm believer. I went in to buy care package goodies and came out with a phone call from Iraq.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and I am so happy you heard from your son. My son is also at FOB Hammer. His name is Matt Stover w/ 3rd ID BSTB. I was shocked when looking at your pictures that you had a picture of my son at Easter services!!! What a treat!! We heard from Matt today!! Another treat! We are so proud of all of the soldiers and we pray for them daily. God bless them and keep them safe!! Lisa (lastover@yahoo.com)

Anonymous said...

What an encouraging story about Wal-Mart having everything! My husband is at FOB Hammer, 1-15IN, 3RD ID. Not the same unit at your son, but nonetheless, on the same FOB! Just want to say a big THANK YOU for the link to CH Randall's website/blogspot. What a blessing he is - and to know that he is right there, with his willing spirit and passion for what he is doing makes my heart smile. Guess I never thought about the "job" chaplains do in a combat zone -- not just a support for casualties, but there for them on a day to day basis! God is good!