Monday, April 30, 2007

From The Sands Of Iraq - Capt. McGrue

April 30, 2007


Greetings, Assassin Family,

I sincerely hope this letter finds everyone doing well. As it leaves me it leaves the men and I in good spirits.

Well, a month has passed and all is well as can be here in AO ASSASSINS. The men remain motivated and eager to accomplish their mission and their morale appears to be high. So please keep those care packages coming, because every little bit helps (SMILE).

Where to go from here? Let’s see, what can I tell you all and remember OPSEC (operational security). Let me start with FOB HAMMER (remember I mentioned in an earlier letter that we no longer call this place FOB SHAKOOSH because it is found to be mistranslated). Our living conditions have improved significantly since I have last written. We have enough tent space to where we have 17 Soldiers living in a 28-man tent. As I walk around checking on the men, it is pleasing to see how they are adjusting to their “home.” They have their poncho liners (looks like a camouflage blanket) tied up around their bunk to give them some privacy. Some of the men are bonding with their battle buddies and they have “roommates.” Whatever helps them make it through and does not protrude on their brothers on their left or right I am cool with. All of the tents have air conditioning units on both sides of the tents, so the men are not suffering from the heat that is soon to be upon us. Outside of the tent we have trailers that enable the men to conduct personal hygiene. There are two trailers dedicated as latrine trailers. Two trailers dedicated as shower facilities. And the civilian contractors living here are working on getting two more each operational for us. The trailers I just men tioned are used by all of 3-1 CAV so they are not Assassin specific. None the less, we have the same opportunity as anyone else to use them and I pretty much see an Assassin in there all the time. The MWR tent has improved. I do not know if the men are using the gym facilities, because I do not frequent the gym yet (still rehabbing my left hand/wrist). But the other tents I have frequented. There is a morale tent with five computers and three phones fully operational (well, depending on the stratosphere and atmosphere for satellite signals…that is what the young Soldier told me the other day when the internet was running VERY slow) (LOL). I’m sure many of you are aware that that tent is operational though, considerin g I have seen some of the men in there using both systems. I have not had the opportunity to use the phone yet, but I will be soon after mailing this letter to you, because I know I am going to hear it from Urs when she reads all this (sorry, baby). Another tent plays movies throughout the day and has a library section attached to it. And inside the library is another television that is connected to satellite, so the men can sit down and relax and watch a little television. I caught some of the NFL draft the other night. And the past two Saturday nights, and probably will continue every Saturday night, the movie tent converts into a music hall to enable the Soldiers to cut loose on the wooden floor. Considering the r atio of men to women in the military, it looked more like the movie You Got Served rather than the club scene. By the way, You Got Served is a movie that features street dancers competing to be the best dance group. There is a laundry facility operated by civilian contractors that can clean all of our clothes, fold them up, and have them ready for us within 24 hours (you can’t beat that). And last but not least, there is a PX trailer here (corner store on wheels). Although it stays pretty bare because Soldiers are cleaning the place out when new products arrive, they do have a means of purchasing something. Unfortunately the trailer system is not sophisticated enough to accept anything other than cash. In the near fu ture we will have vendors coming onto the FOB enabling us to purchase DVDs of movies coming out the same time as they do in the States (yeah, piracy laws don’t seem to apply here in Iraq). I’m not sure what other vendors are coming, but when they arrive I will make it a note to inform you all. I think that pretty much wraps up the FOB.

Changes within the Troop. Well during this past month we had to say goodbye to 1LT Nicholas James. He led 1st Platoon. He was selected to become the Executive Officer for B Troop (second in command). It is a good step for him in his professional development, and although I hated to see him go it is a good move for him. 1LT Clifton Hubbert replaced Nick as the 1st Platoon Leader. Clift was serving on Squadron staff waiting for a platoon leader vacancy. Clift has “hit the ground running” and making us look good, so no complaints there. < /SPAN>Three of our Soldiers were selected to be a part of a special unit the Squadron put together known as the Special Reaction Force (SRF). They still belong to the Assassins, but operationally they do patrols with the SRF. They are SSG Wisner, PV2 Heimann, and PV2 McClure. They are receiving some pretty good training first hand from former members of the Ranger Regiment and SF, and from talking with them they are enjoying themselves. The last change is a change within the troop. SSG Lopez, PV2 Sanders, and PFC Roland are now assigned to 1st Platoon. SSG Cameron, SGT Glatfelter, and PV2 Cesario are now assigned to 2nd Platoon.

Our area of operation has changed some also. Our battle space has become smaller so you will not get any complaints from me (LOL). We are now able to focus our efforts on pieces of terrain that should enable us to better effect what is operating around us. Starting two days ago we began working with the Iraqi National Police. This began in hopes of boosting their morale knowing they have our full support, as well as boosting the confidence of the local populace within their own security forces. If we can successfully accomplish handing this battle space over to the Iraqi Security Force, one of my key tasks will be accomplished. In regards to Iraqi Security Forces, we have three different types operating within our area; Iraqi Army, Iraqi Police, and Iraqi National Police. The best way I can explain it is as this: the Iraqi Police are like your local police (city, provincial), the Iraqi National Police are like your State Trooper, and the Iraqi Army is like us (Army that is). Considering that they have been conducting independent operations already, knowing that US Forces are close by tends to build their confidence and enable them to do more. I guess when you ride around in pickup trucks for a long time, and then you have this element arrive that wants to help and they are bringing tanks, Bradleys, and helicopters, your confidence gets a little boosted. The biggest area of improvement that I se e with our area of operation is the governance piece. We have a lot of rural areas to be responsible for, and they do not feel as if they have governmental representation. So we have to show them the way to get their government involved, as well as help them understand how it should work. I have not studied much in Government since high school, so I have some reading up to do. However, the initial step I want to take is improving their school. I learned from the last time I was here in my discussions with then LTC Cloutier, that if we can refurbish their schools and get them a better place to learn, then maybe we can improve the children’s way of thinking. I have always loved kids so let’s take that approach. The other areas we will attempt to help them is with electricity and water, but those are projects already in the work by themselves so we’ll only assist with pushing it along.

Well, I think I have rambled on long enough. I did not intend on making this letter this long, but I hope I have been able to bring you some peace and understanding as to how things have been here with the Assassins. We are all doing good and in great spirits. We have about two Soldiers with “boo-boos” so they can’t patrol as often as they would like, but even they are keeping their spirits up. Oh, I almost forgot. We begin participating in the R&R Leave Program next month (properly known as Environmental Leave Program or EML). I do not know who off the top of my head is coming home, but I will work to push that information to you as they depart from here and head home for their 15 days of leave. Also, we can never say exactly when they will be home, due to the travel involved to get from here to someplace in Iraq, to someplace in Kuwait, to catch the plane to get the home. Plus the Soldier should not know when he will be home until he makes his own travel arrangements in Kuwait. So do not be surprised if you get that phone call or email saying, “Hey, I’ll be home tomorrow.” They only thing I will be able to provide if a general time-frame that someone will be coming home. For example, PVT Joe Snuffy will be taking leave during the first portion of March. And once the Soldier touches ground at his port of embarkation, his leave days start. So another example, CPT McGrue touches ground in Atlanta airport on 1 March. My leave is from 1 March to 15 March.

Okay, now I have rambled on long enough. Take care, God bless, keep those packages coming, and thank you to those of you that sent me a card or thoughts wishing me to get well.

Take care and God bless.

Respectfully,
Captain Arthur L. McGrue III
Troop Commander
Alpha Troop, 3rd Squadron, 1st Cavalry

No comments: