Sunday, May 11, 2008

Before I was a Soldier's Mom

This being the second Mother's Day with Chris being in Iraq, I was searching for stories of other Mom's and their thoughts. I came across this poem at Some Soldier's Mom that really hit the spot. I think we can all agree that our lives are just not the same during the deployment.

Before I was a Soldier's Mom

I never tripped over a rucksack or knew the words to the Army song.

I didn't worry whether or not my child could shoot or had "zeroed up".

I never imagined saying, "Good job!" when my child told me he had jumped out of a perfectly good airplane... or when he qualified with a grenade launcher.

I could not have told you the difference between division, brigade, regiment, battalion, company, platoon or squad.

I cheered for Navy.


Before I was a Soldier's Mom

I never looked into a soldier's eyes and cried.

I didn't understand "HOOAH".

I never imagined I could be so gloriously happy over a simple "Hey, Ma."

Before I was a Soldier's Mom -

I had complete control of my mind and my thoughts.

I slept all night.

I never sat up late staring at a computer screen or woke in the middle of the night just to check if the computer and cell phone were working.


Before I was a Soldier's Mom

I never knew that so few words could affect my life so deeply: Deployment. Bradley. Wounded. and I never knew the alphabet could rob me of breath: OIF. IED. RPG. WIA. KIA.

I never felt my heart break into a million pieces when I couldn't stop my child's hurt.

I didn't weep at the sound of "Taps", the National Anthem or "American Soldier".

I never held back a scream or had my knees go weak at an unexpected knock at the door.


Before I was a Soldier's Mom -

I never had so many sisters! (and brothers) nor so many sons and daughters!

I never felt fear so completely.... and

I never felt such pride.

No comments: