Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Soldier Leaves Softball to go to Iraq

Corporal Roxanne Finks, San Diego, Calif., a Soldier in the communications section of the 2nd BCT, 1st Armd. Div., fixes a login problem on a brigade computer at FOB Hammer, Iraq.


FOB Hammer, Iraq

By Pfc. Evan Loyd

Corporal Roxanne Finks, San Diego, Calif., a Soldier in the communications section of the 2nd BCT, 1st Armd. Div., fixes a login problem on a brigade computer at FOB Hammer, Iraq.

It’s early in her deployment with the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Armored Division, and she has a lot of work to do, smoothing out the wrinkles on the unit’s computer networks. She hasn’t always been an information system operations analyst, though. Before being assigned to the communications section of the 2nd BCT, 1st Armd. Div., she played softball for the All-Army team.

“I was just in the right place at the right time,” she said. “I don’t even think I’m that great.”

Finks started playing baseball when she was young and switched to softball during her high school years. After graduating high school, she turned down an athletic scholarship at a nearby college to join the Army.

“Everyone always asks me why I didn’t go to the college team,” said Finks, a native of San Diego, Calif. “At the time, I just didn’t think I had the skill to play college softball. Also, the Army helped me gain independence and will help me later with school.”

Still, Finks loved softball and didn’t want to give it up. While she was stationed in Yansung, Korea, she decided to play ball in post-sized tournaments. She played so well at the Pacific Wide Tournament in Yansung, that a recruiter for the All-Army team invited her to attend tryouts at Fort Indiantown Gap, Pa.

“There was a lot of pressure once you were at the tryouts,” Finks said. “Over half of the people trying to make the team were players from previous years. Being previous players it was almost like they had spots reserved for them.”

As a result of the tryout, Finks managed to get a spot on the second string. After a year, she earned her place as the middle infielder.

“That first year, my position was the bench cheerer,” she said. “But, I paid my dues and got into my spot the second year.”

After Finks’ second season, she was offered the choice between staying with the team or deploying with a unit to Iraq. She decided she would deploy to serve her country.

“I think everyone should put their time in,” Finks said. “This is what I feel I should do right now. You got to do what you got to do.”

Finks’ day goes a little different from when she once trained all day to play softball. With the communication section, she’s currently working on the transitions of tactical and automation computers. She helps establish network connections and provide a system to track friendly forces on the battlefield and radio communication for war fighters on the ground. With all those duties, Finks has almost no free time for softball.

“I usually finish my day and head straight to my bed,” she said. “I still keep my glove and a ball with me though. I’d sleep with it if I had to. It’s my outlet for fun in life.”

Finks is scheduled for redeployment from Iraq just in time to tryout for the All-Army team again. She has another three years with the Army and plans to play on the team again for the 2009 season. After the Army, she hopes to use her GI Bill to attend UCLA and major in information systems.

The 2nd BCT, 1st Armd. Div., from Baumholder, Germany, deployed to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom in April.

No comments: